Friday, May 22, 2009

PETA Protest






Today I attended my first protest. Mind you, I was not there to support either side of the issue, just to be there. I had high hopes that a PETA protest at the McDonalds on Brainerd Road would be something to see. Boy was I right.



As we pulled up, this is what we saw.




They were protesting the way McD's kills their chickens. Apparently by scalding them alive. It sounds bad and all, and sure, I don't the chickens I am going to eat to suffer, but I question the planning of this protest a little bit. First, why Chattanooga? Why this Mcdonald's? Do we really think that the McDonald's lunch crowd is going to be so struck by the dynamite human diorama, that they will leave McD's without their lunch?





Now I didn't want to come across as a total jerk. Even though I walked up with my phone out ready to take pics. So, I listened to the PETA spiel, and tried to act like I wasn't just staring at the the girls in the red water. Cars were honking and people were rubbernecking galore. I even kept the flyer.


I will be having nightmares about being stabbed to death by Ronald McDonald tonight. Thanks PETA!










There was a reporter there from the Times-Free Press taking video. I believe that he was onto us, and asked me for a sound byte. I was able to quickly shift the spotlight to my friend Jake, by saying "No thank you. But this guy will do it." My buddy didn't have time to refuse, because the reporter said okay ready go. He was a little flustered and not sure about what he said. They could actually edit it to make him come across as a supporter or hater of PETA.

Here he is below. I really hope his blurb or video makes their website.


Now I don't want to support the torture of my mcnuggets, but I wasn't exactly moved by the protest either. While I may not have had my mind changed I came away with some awesome memories. I think I will have to start going to more protests. They seem pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment