Thursday, June 11, 2009

I miss summer camp

One of the greatest things about summer when I was a kid was going to summer camp. Whether it was "spend-the-night" camp or daycamp, it was awesome camp. My son is now going through a murderer's row of summer day camps and he is only four. Needless to say I am a little jealous. I mean who wouldn't be, zoo camp, aquarium camp, children's museum camp, and in a couple of weeks, art camp. This took me back to my youth when I got to go to camp. I got my first tast at the Nature Center. Learning about animals and nature seemed like the best thing ever. I even got my picture in the paper catching tadpoles. My first overnight camp was at Camp Lookout with our church. I felt like a pioneer living in a cabin for a week. Next, I moved to the big leagues, Boy Scout Camp. I spent approximately 5 summers going to scout camp. I know it sounds a little dorky, but I had some pretty memorable weeks there. Not even the summer when I watched a group of campers get struck by lightning less than 50' from me could keep me away.(Note: to my knowledge all those struck by lightning ended up being fine, and no long term injuries were sustained, just some burns on their feet. I don't want anyone accusing me of being a heartless jerk.) I would come back summer after summer for the chance to get away and do things I couldn't during the rest of the year. Now as an adult, I can take vacations to get away, but it is not the same. When you were a kid, you knew when summer started rolling around that it was time to start getting your gear ready. I may start an adult summer camp, who's with me? What was your most memorable camp experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment