Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Special sauce and secret ingredients


Am I the only one that is a little bothered by products or restaurants that have secret ingredients or special sauce. Normally crappy products don't rave about their special components, it's only the good stuff. Now why would a good product/restaurant not want to share part of their recipe? I will concede the obvious, that some of this could be to protect their property and success. The other part of it could be that there is something really nasty in it. For example, Bush's baked beans touts their secret family recipe in every commercial. There could be anything in those baked beans and I wouldn't know. I wouldn't be surprised if there was lemon pledge in there. What about Dr. Pepper? We all know there are 23 special ingredients, but how special are they. What if the secret ingredient is cigarette ashes? I think any restaurant with a special sauce is especially shady. At least with Dr. Pepper I would hope that it has gone through some kind of testing. These restaurants are islands to themselves. Even if I am enjoying the sauce, I worry what if this has wallpaper glue in it. The bottom line is I am probably better off not knowing, but it won't stop me from being suspicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment